Saturday, August 5, 2017

Puto Cheese Recipe

I've been making desserts on weekends since my kids know how to request food...and they're all no-bake recipes as I don't have an oven yet.๐Ÿ˜‰Whenever my kids see something yummy on Disney or Youtube advertisements, they'd beg "Ma, kaon ta ana" meaning "Ma, let's eat that." This time, we're serving No-Bake Puto Cheese!

The main photo in this post is the result of my third attempt in cooking this no-bake puto cheese. Though not perfect but I can see the progress. I think the first one had these miscalculations: lacked a bit of baking powder, had more butter than it should have and no water. So here's the recipe which I revised a bit.

Yield: 15 Large Puto Moulds

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup evaporated or fresh milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • cheese, sliced for toppings


Did I say, I love cooking with my kids? Especially on weekends! Rianna loves the small puto moulds so she insisted on arranging them herself.

Procedure:
  1. Sift all dry ingredients together except cheese. Mix well and set aside.
  2. Mix together the wet ingredients in another bowl. Do not bother separating the egg yolk from the white, just put the whole egg. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Of course, mix just until everything is combined. Ensure that there are no lumps.
  4. Heat water in a pot and bring to a boil.
  5. While waiting for the water to boil, pour in batter into the moulds just about 3/4 full.
  6. Arrange moulds in a single layer on steamer rack. Lower heat to medium and steam puto cheese for 10 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
  7. Turn off heat and top each puto with cheese. Cover for about 1 minute to allow residual heat to melt cheese.
  8. Allow puto cheese to slightly cool before removing from molds.
Serve and enjoy!

The knife he's using is a bread knife, not sharp edge so no worries.

In cooking this no-bake puto recipe for the first time, I put the cheese toppings together with the batter before steaming. In the second time, I put the cheese toppings when the puto cheese were half-way cooked. You decide which one is better. ๐Ÿ˜Š And oh! I added some food colors.

But no matter how it looked, my kids still ate the no-bake puto cheese I made. The taste is still the same - yummy!

This is the result of my puto cheese the second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment