Saturday, October 27, 2018

Easy Packing Tips for Travelling with Kids

Travelling with kids? Focus on fun and take out the worry of the little details in packing. Here are my strategies in packing easily…

DO THE LAUNDRY
My kids can now help me in packing so I pack a day or 2 before the travel time. But few days before packing, I do the laundry so I can plan which clothes to bring.

Doing the laundry before the vacation can also give you less stress after. Does going home to basketful laundry after a long travel with additional soiled clothing sounds good? Well, empty the laundry basket first.

ONE-BAG RULE
Before, when my kids were still very little, I pack a week before the vacation. I have to pack everything in one big luggage bag for all of us even if we're only away from home for 3 days.

Later, when my kids were able to carry something very light, I followed the one-bag rule for each of us. In each of my kids' carry-on backpack, I put their favorite stuff toys, back towel or labakara, travel pillow and jacket. I have another post about what's inside the backpack of 3 to 6 years old kids - Packing Guide when Travelling with Kids.

Now, when they're both graders, their backpacks already contain the following - back towel, travel pillow, jacket, 1 bottle of water, snacks and they usually add something like books or coloring materials. I allow them to put whatever they want as long as it's not heavy.

CLOTHING COUNTDOWN
Limit yourself to not more than the necessary sets so do the clothing countdown and adjust to suit your needs. For example - 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1:
  • 6 underwears
  • 5 tops
  • 4 bottoms (jeans, skirt, shorts, leggings)
  • 3 footwears (slippers, running shoes for active days, dollshoes to pair casual clothes or dresses)
  • 2 dresses
  • 1 swimwear
I also like color coordinating our outfits. For me, I think it’s cute.
~blue~
~white~
~pink~

If doing the laundry while on vacation is possible, then include it in your plan to pack less.

ROLL IN CUBES OR POUCHES
Rolling clothes prevents wrinkles, save space and lets you see the clothing in a glance. I use mesh cubes that enable me to know what's inside without opening it. I also use transparent ziplock pouches for little things like chargers, hygiene kit, etc. Pack things by set or kit so you'll know where to find what.

CHECKLIST
Your checklist may vary depending on where your destination is. But be sure to make a checklist for things that should be within reach or in the sling bag that is always with you.
  • travel tickets
  • wallet
  • cellphone - make sure to fully charge before leaving
  • keys
  • white flower
  • wet and dry wipes
  • alcohol
  • umbrella
  • pen and notepad
If you're staying in someone's house or hotel, here's a checklist of things I made and brought when I went to Makati without kids and Manila with kids. Read my post Packing for a Flight with Kids.

Usually, our vacation destination is my parents' hometown so I only pack little items for I already leave a few things there, especially clothing. So I also have a separate list for those that are disposable or things that I can just buy when we arrive at our destination, like toiletries. But you can also bring little amount or just enough during the trip then refill later after buying.

FOOD AND ENTERTAINMENT
These are things that can go with your kid's backpack. I prepare rice meals and fruits for snacks.
  • hard boiled eggs
  • sliced apples
  • peeled oranges
  • seedless grapes
  • biscuits
I don't recommend giving them gadgets while on travel coz when we were in Manila my son's sling bag and jacket were lost, good thing his cellphone was not in that bag. So they have books and coloring materials for entertaining themselves.

CLEAN THE HOUSE BEFORE LEAVING
Avoid being welcomed with molds in the kitchen upon going home so clean, particularly the refrigerator. When we're away for more than 5 days, I turn the electrical off that means the fridge should be empty.

***Important tip - Do not post on social media how long you will be away from home. Leave your house to someone you can trust.

Everything is set... enjoy your vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment